Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Does this stuff work?



"...a virtuoso was, originally, a highly accomplished musician, but by the nineteenth century the term had become restricted to performers, both vocal and instrumental, whose technical accomplishments were so pronounced as to dazzle the public." (Weiss, Piero; Taruskin, Richard (1984). Music in the Western World: A History in Documents. Schirmer, 430. ISBN 0-02872-900-5)


After decades of dedication to the pursuit of flutistic excellence, I may have finally stumbled onto a musical miracle -- in the Bixby Knolls Trader Joe's.

Forget hours of warm-ups, scales, etudes, orchestral excerpts, concerti. Forget fortifying your mind against distractions during performances. Forget wondering if you'll ever work again. Deliverance is at hand in the form of -- lip balm???

I've been using this stuff for a couple of days now. Is it my imagination or are my lips more musical? Can virtuosity be purchased from Trader Johann?

Or is it just that I've been practicing my flute...

No comments: