Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Adjunct Shuffle


It's that time again. Azusa Pacific University, where I am adjunct professor of flute, and Vanguard University of Southern California, where I am the private flute instructor, resumed classes this week. It's time to begin the Adjunct Shuffle.


Students are trying to finalize their schedules. Secretaries are trying schedule studio space. Adjuncts are trying to make a living.

I have had several students send stealth emails with the off-hand comment, "I have changed my major..." or, "I will not be returning to school..." or, "I don't know if I will be taking an hour or a half hour lesson..."

This is typcial of the spring semster. Students have gained insight about future goals based on their fall semester and, rightfully, make course corrections. No matter how many times I experience it, though, it is still unsettling.

Things will all be determined by next Friday, the last day to add or drop classes. By then I will know how much money I will (or will not) be making in the next 4 months, when, exactly, I will be making it, where I will be dispensing knowledge, and who will be the recipients of said knowledge. Meanwhile, I'll be practicing my Adjunct Shuffle.

No comments: