Monday, January 15, 2007

Does it Work Because It's Pink?

I recently ordered a heart rate monitor specifically made for women. I had been wanting one for a long time, not only for work-outs, but to see what kind of pulse rate flutists have when they're playing their instrument.




One's heart rate increases when one is nervous. As the heart rate increases, the amount of oxygen needed by the heart increases. That means less air is available to blow through one's flute. The result? One can easily skate through long musical phrases in the practice room, but can experience difficulty in holding out even a short note during performance. It's disconcerting (pun intended) to take a big breath in and have nothing left to blow out. (Experiments are now in progress)

Meanwhile, I'm left pondering the marketing choices of this particular company. There was no picture of the box on Amazon, so I was a bit unprepared for the pinkness of the packaging.



Even the inside is pink.




Don't get me wrong. I am extremely grateful that this company has chosen to make and market a heart rate monitor scaled to my petite size. It's just.....well.....did it have to be so pink?





No comments: