Monday, January 22, 2007

Accounting for Time


I'm not intentionally neglecting my blog. I want to say that right up front. It's just that, well, I purchased some new accounting software yesterday.

I know that in the long run it will simplify my life. It will save hours of time. It will provide effortless organization. In the short run, however, that has not been the case.

I take some responsibility for that. My last version of Quicken was, um, well, it was 11 years old, so forget easy importing of my existing data.

On the plus side, I had a very nice, long "chat" with Thom T. at customer support in India. He actually was able to identify the data problem (going from DOS based to NFTS based) and patiently walk me through it.

Okay. So I got all my data into the slick new program. Now for the "update" feature.

Theoretically, this allows instant updates from your financial institution right into your accounting software. In actuality, it took 4 hours, a call to WAMU, an extended "chat" with a nice woman in India, another call to WAMU, and a serendipitous web page discovery to force the banking information into the accounting software.

Now for the data manipulation.

I won't go into that right now. I've been at it for another 4 hours and I think everything is okay. Really. Fine. It's really fine. Really.

Anyway, perhaps it would be best if I let it rest for a while.

I need to go practice my flute.

No comments: