Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cutting Back

My roses get a little exuberant in the fall.

Okay, you need a machete to get by them at this time of year.

I go for the cottage garden approach.

In the narrow strip of earth I call my own, I try to cram as much fragrance as possible.

My landlord goes more for the military garden look.

The other day he politely requested that I "spend some time gardening". He had a painter coming to touch up the eaves, and hoped to provide safe passage for him.

It really is good to cut the roses back by a third at this time of year.

Well, they got cut back by more than a third. They were as out of control as a three year old on her third chocolate bar.

So I got my shears out and went to work.

The results?

This beautiful bouquet, newly painted eaves, and garden that, despite being more orderly in appearance, actually seems healthier.

Score!


No comments: