Monday, September 8, 2008

Verizon Fios - You're Doing It Wrong

Bob and I agreed to give Verizon FIOS a try. The promises were dazzling: lightening fast internet connection, crystal clear phone service with unlimited long distance, lots of cool TV channels.

The reality is a little different.

The biggest problem is with the phone. It has an intermittent buzz (more like a roar) that makes conversation impossible.

No problem. Just call customer service, right?

WRONG!!!

Try as I might, I have been unable to reach customer service either by phone or online.

When I call by phone, the automatic attendant transfers me to an extension that promptly disconnects.

When I go online, the completed repair request form will not go through, saying I haven't provided my email address even though I've tried 3 different ones.

Fortunately, Bob understands wiring. He went out to the box in the alley and discovered the problem.

When the box was installed, the plate covering the box was tightened down so hard that it was cutting into phone line that goes into the house.

Nice.

Bob smoothed out the cut. The phone line has cleared up.

For now.

I have been a faithful, satisfied Verizon customer since long before it even WAS Verizon. I have never had any trouble contacting a real person for repairs.

Until now.

We have 90 days to bail on this set-up.

It's something we're very seriously considering.

Update 11/19, 2008: After the initial problem was "straightened out", everything has worked well. The download speed has been consistantly blazing. The TV and phone work fine. It was not too difficult (could have been easier) to talk to a real person to discontinue the premium stuff we never used that they gave us for the first 3 months. Once I got to the real person, she was extremely nice and seemed to be able to take care of the item in question. Overall the product has been quite satisfactory.

No comments: