Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Changing View



As I patiently waited for the concert to begin at Marine Stadium this evening, I realized that I had been sitting in a different chair there each week for the last 3 weeks.

3 weeks ago I was in the piccolo chair while Eileen worked somewhere else.

Last week I was in my normal "Flute 2" chair.

Tonight I was "Flute 1", filling in for Patti:



That can be confusing for my fan base.

Wait.

As the sound engineer, my husband always knows where I'm sitting.

Anyway, I've had a ton of solos to play this week. Who knew Cowboy music could be so flute friendly! I had a blast tonight because I can actually play all the music. That's always a plus!

One of the features unique to Marine Stadium are the "boat people." They pull right up next to the stage and enjoy the concert from the comfort of their sea going vessels:


They are also very generous with their donations to the band.

Next week for the first time in the 23 years that I've been playing with the band they will not be permitted to assume their usual positions in the water next to the band stand.

Marine Stadium will be closed.

We on the band stand were wondering about the stadium closure.

Did it need an acid wash?

Was it leaking?

Was the drain clogged?

Actually, the stadium will be closed while the course is being laid out for the Dragon Boat races the next day.

So while they could, the boat people were able to enjoy the band and the enchanting Carol Welsman:


The party continues at El Dorado Park tomorrow evening at 6:30pm.

It's your last chance to Yipee-Ki-Ya!

No comments: