Sunday, April 4, 2010

7.2 Easter Earthquake

Bob and I were spending a pleasant Easter afternoon with my brother and parents at a friend's home in Long Beach when we were surprised by an earthquake.

I've experienced some gut-wrenchers in my time, so I know from experience IF YOU CAN'T HEAR IT, THE EPICENTER IS FAR, FAR AWAY.

We didn't hear a bit of rumbling, so we were astounded as the quake increased in intensity to the point of concern. We knew that people somewhere were having a VERY BAD experience because it wasn't very pleasant where we were.

When we learned that the epicenter was down in Baja California, we were flabbergasted. The shaking we felt was significant, yet the quake was well over 100 miles away. No bueno.

It took me several moments to grab my camera and start filming (we had to make sure we weren't going to die first). By the time I took the following video on my Droid, most of the shaking had died down.



For those of you who have never experienced an earthquake and think it would be cool, guess again. Speaking from experience, when your home suddenly begins to collapse around you, it is FAR from cool. And if you're at Disneyland during an earthquake (been there, done that), they close all the rides to make sure nothing is broken. It kind of takes the fun out of the day.

No comments: