Monday, September 17, 2007

Vintage Disneyland at Daveland




I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled onto Daveland. Maybe it was through BlueSkyDisney.

Anyway, Daveland certainly resonates with me.

I grew up in Whittier, California. In fact I went to elementary school, junior high and high school with (gulp) John Lasseter (he was two years behind me).

Disneyland has a huge place in my childhood memories.

Mom and Dad frequently loaded the family up into the station wagon and set out down surface streets (in the days before the 605 freeway which is now 3 blocks from our house) to the Santa Ana Freeway. That meant one of two things; we were going to the beach (Pearl Street in Laguna) or we were going to DISNEYLAND.

I loved, loved, loved those trips

I loved the E ticket rides.

I loved the Flying Saucers even though I was too little to make them go anywhere.

I loved the Indians in Frontierland doing sand paintings.

I loved the mule ride and the Grand Canyon Mine Trains.

I loved the Carousel of Progress.

I loved the Rocket to the Moon (my mom had to carefully explain, that no, we had not really just gone to the moon, that at that time no one had actually been to the moon. I didn't believe her. I saw people going to the moon in the movies on T.V. all the time).

I loved the House of the Future.

I loved the People Mover.

I loved the Journey Through Inner Space.

I loved the 360 Theater.

Where is all that stuff now anyway???

That's why Dave's blog trips my trigger. On any given day I can take a stroll down memory lane.

This week he's starting a series Disneyland's Tencenniel in 1965.

That's just about the time those trips in the station wagon were in full swing.

If you need me, I'll be at Daveland...

No comments: