Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flute Mechanic

I took a quick trip down to San Diego today to visit my flute mechanic.


Jay is a remarkably patient, exacting, truly gifted craftsman.


Today I was there for a "while you wait" appointment; a quick adjustment made in about an hour to keep things working well.

In May my flute will travel back down to San Diego for a five day stay and a more thorough overhaul.


Sometimes it's hard to watch as Jay dismembers my flute.


Don't laugh, but there have been a few times when I've actually felt faint at the sight of the source of my income strewn in tiny pieces over the work table.


Don't try this at home.


Jay whipped two new pads into place in under an hour. He goes into lightning repair mode, works faster than the human eye can see, then hands back a perfectly adjusted instrument. He never ceases to amaze me.

On top of everything he's a really nice guy.

I am extremely thankful for this extraordinary Flute Mechanic.

No comments: