Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Darleeneism Birthday Bash

As I've mentioned before, Darleene Powells of Darleeneisms is my blogging tech hero. She's been blogging for a decade now and totally knows her stuff.

After today, Darleene has been elevated to all around hero in my book.

It started off with an invitation:

I'm turning 30 and my blog is now 10! To celebrate, I want to invite you to a party, but not just any party. This will be a potluck party at the Union Station Foundation Adult Center in Pasadena, a homeless shelter.

My church is pitching in to help cook and bring food. But we need to cook for and serve about 150 people. If you're willing, I would love for you to celebrate my birthday and blogiversary with me by bringing food -- anything from salad, to pasta, to fruit, to drinks, to dessert, and helping serve Union Station's clients.


I really can’t take credit for the idea, actually. I got the inspiration for it when I came across this Scripture, Luke 14:12-14:


Then he [Jesus] turned to his host. “When you put on a luncheon or a banquet,” He said, “don’t invite your friends, brothers, relatives, and rich neighbors. For they will invite you back, and that will be your only reward. Instead, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. Then at the resurrection of the righteous, God will reward you for inviting those who could not repay you.”

Miraculously, Bob and I both had the day off today, the day of Darleene's party. We hopped on the Metro and rode on up to Pasadena.

Once again, I applaud my husband. He is so shy in crowds, even of people he knows. Today we were plunging into crowds of people he didn't know.

What a pleasure it was to enter the kitchen filled with food that needed preparing and volunteers ready to invest sweat equity into the project.

I soon found myself next to one of Darleene's close friends up to my elbows in salad and having the time of my life.

(photo by beFrank)

Bob was washing something over at the sink when I saw a familiar figure greeting him warmly. It was the famous beFrank, my blogging inspiration and hero. We had never met face to face until today, and it was well worth the wait! Check out his Flicker stream for the most amazing pictures of this event.


(photo by beFrank - he has a long arm!)

Be sure to read Darleene's post about this event. She tells it better than I ever could.

After all the clients had dined, we workers sat down for a feast of our own. I was so blessed to be sitting with my dear husband, my two blogging heros and the new friends I had made over salad and spaghetti in the Union Station kitchen.

Thanks for everything, Darleene!

I can't wait for next year!

No comments: