Monday, July 16, 2007

What I Do For A Living

The following conversation actually took place, word for word, last week.

The most frequently asked question I get at the Muni Band concerts is, "What do you do for a living?"

"Um...I play the flute," I reply.

"No, but what do you really do for a living? How do you make money?", comes the query.

"I play the flute," I say again.

"But that's not really your job," they insist. "Don't you teach somewhere?"

"Yes, I teach at two universities three days a week during the school year," I answer.

"Oh, I knew you had a real job."

Actually, I play flute all day long at that "real job".

I don't go into the degree I have in, guess what, Flute Performance.

I don't mention the hours of practice I put in on my "days off".

I don't mention the orchestras I play with, movies I've been in, the studios I've played in.

What would be the point?

I'm just glad I make it look that easy.

I love my job.

No comments: