Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Perspective


The Muni Band was back at Bluff Park overlooking the Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach for this evening's concert.

I don't think I'm the only one in the band who was feeling weary at this afternoon's rehearsal. We have yet another week of exceptionally difficult music, my brain RAM is full, and my attitude needs some serious adjustment.

As I was wrestling with my whiny self, I picked up an email from a dear friend, Jessica Shumba:


She is currently serving as a missionary with YWAM in Durban, South Africa, but hails from Zimbabwe. She will be returning home to Zimbabwe for a brief visit in 2 weeks. Food and fuel supplies in Zimbabwe are short. Inflation is at 2,ooo%. She is able to take supplies to her family, but was asking for help in supplying basic toiletry needs, since her budget included only enough for groceries.

I was certainly pulled up short by her request. While I'm whining about my excellent job from the comfort of my secure dwelling with a Costco-size supply of toilet paper and other hygiene products, Jessica is giving sacrificially to supply her family with very basic daily needs.

Yikes.

Time to count my blessings and zip my lip.

I am grateful for the perspective.

If you would like to assist Jessica in meeting her needs, this is how you can give:

Make checks payable to Calvary Commission, and designate on a separate note “for Jessica Shumba”

All gifts and donations are tax-deductible and will be greatly appreciated

Then mail the check to:
Calvary Commission
P. O. Box 100
Lindale, TX 75711

No comments: