Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Prelude To Pain

The APU Faculty Woodwind Quintet gave its annual recital this past Monday (complete photo set taken by my dear husband Bob here).


I was grateful that my parents were able to attend, along with a wide assortment of flute students and other well wishers.


The concert was a success and was well received, aside from a moment of drama when I had to ask two whispering members of the audience to refrain from speaking right before a very quiet piece began.

Who can think with all that noise?


The post concert huddle is always delightful!

Even before the concert began, though, I was struggling with pain.

Due to a last minute personnel change, rehearsals, although rewarding, were more stressful than usual. Extra rehearsal days meant more commuting and eliminated my workout times. The stage was set for an epic fail.

I have NEVER had any major flute related pain...until Tuesday when I awoke with back spasms of epic magnitude. Things have gradually progressed from being in pain and immobile to being in pain and mobile.

I've begun stretching again (something that would have prevented the whole ordeal) and look forward to increasing my physical activity in an effort to prevent this from ever happening again.

Meanwhile, though, I thoroughly enjoyed making music with my esteemed colleagues.

It was completely worth the pain.

No comments: