Saturday, February 7, 2009

Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony Is People!!!

When did the music of my youth become ancient history?

I passed out a jazz version of "The House of the Rising Sun" in Flute Choir a few weeks ago. When I asked how many people knew the song, I was met with puzzled silence.

In case YOU'VE never heard of it, here is a little music history lesson:



The biggest comment I received about it at our next rehearsal? The Animals look like babies, but they're singing such a tough song.

I had to explain that that is what tough people looked like in the olden days.

The APU orchestra will soon be performing Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony:



My students are beyond bewildered when every time they bring the music to their lesson I yell, "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!"



Please tell me you know what I'm talking about...







No comments: