Thursday, December 18, 2008

Have A Ball!

My mom used to make Bourbon Balls every Christmas. My sister Christy confesses that she really, really liked them as a child and consumed quite a lot of them over the days leading up to Christmas. It was only later that she discovered what bourbon really was!

If I drank, it would be bourbon. I love the smell of it. I love the taste of it. I just don't like the extended nap I need after only a few sips. I prefer conversation and good company, neither of which I can accomplish while sawing logs.

I found a new recipe online this year. Instead of cocoa powder it uses melted chocolate chips. I'm all about the chocolate chips!

Bourbon balls are as close as I get to my favorite beverage. I still would not consider driving after helping myself to a few of these:

Bourbon Balls

1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate bits

1/2 c. sugar (I used Organic Sugar from Trader Joe's because that's what was on hand)

3 tbsp. light corn syrup (Karo white)

1/3 c. bourbon (I used Rebel Yell from Trader Joe's because I've always laughed at the name. I used a little extra to moisten things up.)

2 1/2 c. (about 5 dozen) finely crushed vanilla wafers (I used a tub of vanilla wafers from Trader Joe's and was completely blown away by the buttery goodness they added!)

1 c. finely chopped pecan nuts (Got these at Trader Joe's, too)

Powdered sugar to roll bourbon balls in

Melt chocolate over hot water (I did this step using the microwave, following the melting directions on the package). Remove from hot water and stir in sugar and syrup. Blend in bourbon. Combine wafers and nuts and add to chocolate mixture; mix well.

Form 1-inch balls and roll in confectioners sugar. Let ripen in covered container at least several days. Makes about 4 1/2 dozen. Will keep 3-4 weeks in tightly covered container!

I let them ripen for about 6 hours before I started sampling them. I'm guessing there will still be some left by Christmas Eve...

Stay tuned. More recipe goodness tomorrow!

No comments: