Monday, August 11, 2008

When Good Technology Goes Bad

I have never been happier with a phone than I am with my LG Voyager.

It has been robust since the moment I first laid hands on it. I have never had a moment's concern with any aspect of the phone from calling (imagine that - using the phone for actual phone calls) to texting to email. It has all run smoothly and quickly.

I was very interested when my brother mentioned that a new software update was available that fancified the interface and enabled Visual Voicemail.

I had some free time Sunday afternoon since it was my designated flute-free day (I get one and only one of those a week). I hopped in the FluteMobile and headed to the nearest Verizon store located, conveniently enough, next to a Starbucks where a venti Cafe Misto decaf nonfat was just the beverage to enjoy during a 45 to 60 minute software download.

One misto and several chapters of the easy reading detective trash of the day, I returned to pick up my faithful phone with its new and improved interface.

What I discovered instead was a customer service rep shaking in his shoes. He reluctantly informed me that the software download had fried my Voyager. He brought out the still smoking shell of my former phone.

He was a little relieved to hear that I have Backup Assistant on my account (don't be wireless without it) and hastened to get me a new phone. He noticeably paled, however, when he was unable to locate a Voyager with the new software already uploaded. He visibly braced himself and said that it would take another 45 minutes to download the software. He was literally trembling with fear.

I spent many years in customer service at my family's bakery. I have faced more enraged, unreasonable, unpleasant, bitter people obviously in need of years of therapy than your average consumer. I completely understood and empathized with his terror.

Do you know what I did next?

I gave him a big smile and said cheerfully, "No problem. I'll be back in 45 minutes."

His mouth, and the mouth of the woman next to him there to give moral support, dropped open in utter amazement.

When he recovered himself he said, "You must be the nicest person in the world!!!"

Not really.

But the Nicest Person in the world lives in my heart. He's the one that has made it possible for me to be gentle, patient and kind when I am patient and gentle and kind.

There's no way I can do it on my own.

Oh, and before you go thinking that I'm a complete saint, I was salivating over what delights remained to be discovered at Starbucks during the next 45 minutes before I even left the counter.

No comments: